Saturday, December 8, 2012

Shadowing light bulb moment!

Okay, I know all you photoshop savvy gurus are going to look at this post and be like- duhh, but I had to share this super awesome trick I discovered today for shadowing!

I was doing a layout on a light background and getting really frustrated because my shadows just wouldn't look the way I wanted. I've seen all these ladies with amazing light colored layouts where everything is just so soft and beautiful and I was really wanting to get that look, but either the shadow would look to harsh or my element would look like it was just floating around. Then it came to me, like a bird turd on my shoulder, right outta the blue, CHANGE THE SHADOW COLOR TO MATCH THE BACKGROUND! It was a total light bulb moment for me. I've never noticed it before, but when you pull up the layer style menu, right beside
The blend mode is a color box. Simply click on the box and it will give you a color sampling eye dropper that you can use to sample any color in your layout, click on the color that is right below the item you are shadowing and VOILA- soft perfectly blended shadows, YAY!

If you guys are interested in these kinds of tips and tricks that I learn along the way let me know in this post, and I'll share more of my light bulb moments with you all!

Have an awesome weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I usually change the opacity ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip Nicky, I do fiddle with the other settings too but this layout was so light nothing seemed to be working for me. I'll post it when I can, I'll have to mess with the opacity some more too, Thanks for the great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete